Technical Opportunities Program
Interested in a construction career, but don’t know where to start? This Union construction preparation program will help you learn about the industry, practice your hands-on skills, and apply for the Union Trade Apprenticeship program openings of your interest.
- TOP is 3 days a week, with a strict Attendance Policy
- Two weekday evenings per week (6 pm–9:30 pm)
- Every Saturday (8 am–3 pm)
- Program students will be notified prior to starting which 2 weekdays it will be. Typically, it's either Monday & Wednesday or Tuesday & Thursday.
- Math Comprehension
- Apprenticeship Entry Exam Preparation
- Physical Strengthening
- Basic Construction Safety
- Job Readiness Skills
- Resume Building
- Apprenticeship Application Support
- Post-graduation Case Management
- Hands-on Workshops
- Field Trips to Apprenticeship Training Centers
- Mock Interviews with Industry Professionals
- High School Diploma or GED
- Driver’s license
- Birth certificate or other proof of eligibility to work in the United States
- Social Security Card
- 6 months of past income/paystubs
- Physically fit
- Pass our Program Entry Aptitude Test
- Pass a drug test
Frequently Asked Questions
No - Graduating from the TOP Program does not have a direct entry with an apprenticeship program. However, 70% of TOP graduates are successful in entering an apprenticeship training center of their choice.
TOP provides general preparation that applies to the majority of the Illinois Union construction industry. Program graduates have gone on to become successful electricians, carpenters, bricklayers, plumbers, pipefitters, sheet metal workers, laborers, ironworkers, cement finishers, painters, drywall finishers, and more.
This training is available free of charge to participants!
However, it is not free to provide, so we are looking for applicants whose commitment to this career path is deserving of the investment made by our funders.
Apprenticeship Training Centers open for new applications at various times throughout the year. Keep in contact with us so we can continue to get you the most up-to-date information.
Register for an information session held every Wednesday.
10:30 a.m. the first & third Wednesday of every month
5:30 p.m. the second & fourth Wednesday of every month
Join us at 2444 W 16th Street, 60608. We are located in the rear of the building with free parking. Buzz in at the door located at the top of the green & yellow metal staircase.Register for an information session.
- Math Comprehension: Fractions, decimals, ratios and percentages, area and perimeter, square roots, exponents, feet and inches and basic algebra
- Apprenticeship Entry Exam Preparation: Spatial relations, mechanical reasoning, and numerical reasoning
- Physical Strengthening: Stretching, stamina, balance, endurance and weight-lifting exercises
- Basic Construction Safety & Skills: Jobsite safety, tool recognition, tool safety, measuring, and blueprint reading
- Job Readiness: Goal setting, interviewing, resume building, financial budgeting, apprenticeship application guidance
- Hands-on Workshops: Learning basic experiences in carpentry, electrical, laborer, plumbing, pipefitting, bricklaying, and more instructed by experienced tradeswomen.